New Rome Should Cease to Exist February 4th
The residents of New Rome have the opportunity to rid
Central Ohio of a nuisance February 4th. Here's why New Rome doesn't
deserve to exist:
- An incompetent majority village council. They were sued this
week for not taking the critical step of adopting Ohio's traffic code as their
own ordinances. One member hasn't been to a meeting in three
months. The others sometimes meet secretly in garages and living rooms.
- A bully police chief who lives out of the county and views the police
force as his private militia. He recently sent his officers to a public
elementary school "investigating" one of the opposition council members.
- Ignoring ODOT's opinion that the 35mph speed limit through the village
- Poor accounting oversight that had led to thousands of dollars being
stolen from the village funds.
- An unnecessarily aggressive police force that does nothing but write
as many tickets as they can.
- A policy to arrest people at their work over unpaid minor misdemeanor
- A traffic fine system that is seemingly based on the whims of the
clerk, officer, or magistrate.
- An inability to provide any services to the village residents aside
from a bloated force of traffic cops (no fire/rescue, trash collection, snow
removal, health services, recreation, etc.)
Readers respond! (I knew they would....)
- Because it is an embarassment to real police in Central Ohio
- Because neighboring areas suffer traffic problems from people going
around New Rome.
- New Rome is hampering business development on both sides of the village
as people don't want to drive through.
- If there is any real police work required in New Rome, or if it's past
their 11:00 bedtime, New Rome calls in the Franklin County cops to handle
it. It's utterly ridiculous that 11 police officers, who only have
to serve 60 citizens, and have $400,000 a year to work with, can't provide
police protection beyond traffic stops!
- Councilwoman Nancy Chapman's childish antics and loss of temper at
- They want to hire 2 more unpaid officers. They do not need more officers,
and do they really expect us to believe these officers are "unpaid"?
- They have failed to implement multiple corrections that were ordered
by county auditor Jim Petro. For example, they were ordered to get a computer
system to keep records, and they have not. More examples can be found in
the complete auditors report.
- Instead of facing up to the facts, they have tried to squelch our constitutional
right to free speech. They tried to take down our website
by sending us infected e-mail. They also tried to block our path during the
first protest march, and they roughly grapped a senior citizen who
guts to stand up to them.
- They engage in racial profiling, intimidation and the terrorization
of children (see Tales of Woe)
- They ticket you for going too fast. They ticket you for going too slow.
They run your tags without probable cause. They ticket you for running
yellow lights. They ticket you for having a window tint. They tried
to ticket a lady for playing her radio too loud, and she didnt even have
radio in her car! They ticket you if you put one of those plastic frames
around your license plates. They ticket you if you have a single bolt
missing from your tag.
- They contribute nothing to the common welfare, and take much from us.
There is simply no valid reason for the village to exist.
- Every legitimate police officer I have ever talked to hates New Rome
and is embarrased by it's so-called police force. During the first protest
march, many of the Frankin County cops were cheering and giving us "thumbs
- They are an embarrasment our entire state.
Why do you think New Rome should cease to exist? E-mail